Thursday, February 11, 2016

Full circle, confusion, and hope

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I just got Nexplanon. Yes, my birth control journey has all come full circle.

Why? Well, I started spotting and cramping a lot on the mini pill. I'd get PMS and spotting every week or so and I knew something was up.

I went to the gyno, and along with some more conflicting information, I got some very valuable information:

1. On the mini pill, sometimes the lining of your uterus gets too thin and you start spotting because of that. This can be resolved by taking a break for 3 to 7 days from the pill and then starting it again.

2. Lamictal and the mini pill do not interact AT ALL!!! Neither one lowers the effectiveness of the other. This completely conflicts with what I was told at this same doctor's office but with a different doctor! I was told the mini pill was dangerous because lamictal could make me metabolize it faster, making it even less effective than it already is. 
NOT TRUE according to this doctor!!

Another reason why is that I found out I have Hashimoto Thyroiditis, which makes it real hard to lose weight! Maybe birth control does make it harder to lose weight, but you should still be able to lose a pound or two. I haven't been able to lose one pound, even through Whole30, Weight Watchers, and regular interval exercise. 

Since the reason I got it out in the first place was weight gain, I figured well I'm not losing weight now either so maybe it wasn't the birth control. 

Let me also say that insertion was a FUCKING BREEZE!!!! It took no time at all and the stinging for the numbing shot was way more tolerable. I was so impressed. My arm is barely tender, I keep forgetting I even got it today.

Anyway, I keep hoping for the day they release Vasagel, the male birth control. I won't have to worry anymore. Until then, I have a plastic rod in my arm that will last for 5 years and a new hope for weight loss once I get my thyroid medication.

It's the small victories! Also, so many people now have the rod that I don't know if this blog is even that needed anymore. But it's therapeutic to me and also, it's for those ladies out there taking Lamictal and feel overwhelmed by all the conflicting info. I hope this blog helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment